Monday, April 12, 2010

Chalk Talk


After a great first day of Literature Circles, we had some time to "debrief" on Friday to discuss everyone's impressions of how their group worked together, what they would like to improve upon, and what they accomplished. I decided to use the Chalk Talk routine I learned about at PZ, and I asked the boys these two questions: "If Mrs. Droke or Mr. Burns (our assistant headmaster and headmaster) walked in our room during Lit. Circle meetings, what would they be excited to see? What do you believe good learning looks like in the context of Lit. Circles?" Chalk Talk is basically a conversation on paper, and the boys generated excellent ideas about what good learning looks like. One of my favorites was the shot at the end that says, "Cooperation + organization + creativity + facts x fun = learning." I love that this student chose a mathematical relationship to express himself. The incredible thing about these routines is that it's not necessary to review as a class what everyone wrote. I just had them walk around at the end, and then I put the butcher paper up on our walls as a reminder. I encouraged them to remember those ideas and implement them in their groups when they meet next.

Chalk Talk from Courtney Humphreys on Vimeo.

1 comments:

Emily Kissner said...

What a neat little way to get students to interact and write. I think that I'll use this tomorrow for my poetry lesson...thanks!

Post a Comment