Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Reflection Journals

I heard a lot of talk about reflection journals at Harvard, and Ron Ritchhart refers to them often in Intellectual Character. I talked to some coworkers about ways they use journals, but I quickly realized I was going to have to figure out on my own what worked best for my classroom. We have had the journals since the beginning of the year and have been using them sporadically at best. We have been using them more frequently lately, though, and I can se that the boys are becoming more and more comfortable with the act of reflecting. The first or second day of school I had them choose a throughline to reflect on, and I remember looks of complete confusion. They had no idea what to do. With time, they have become less worried about what they are "supposed" to write and are able to really sit down and put their thoughts on paper. This week they reflected on their understanding of pronouns after a pronoun test and on their strengths and weaknesses as writers after getting back their LWW contrast paragraph. Now my entire attitude toward tests has changed- even though they are summative assessments, I still want there to be formative aspects to them. Last year, I just sent tests home after they were graded and never looked at them again. This year, they are keeping their tests (after they've been sent home for parents to see), and I want them to refer back to this portfolio throughout the year so they can see their progress. I am amazed at how this simple practice of reflecting on their understanding after a test enables me (and them) to have a better gauge of where they are...it's now hard for me to imagine not taking the time for this!

0 comments:

Post a Comment